[Mediawiki-l] WIKI Replication

Katharina Wolkwitz wolkwitz at fh-swf.de
Fri Sep 21 08:48:52 UTC 2007

Hi Ed,

I use a different approach to disaster-recovery:
my wiki runs on a virtual server (based on VMware Server 1.0.3) which only hosts
the wiki and nothing else. As a backup I have several copies (one on another
harddisk of the host-server and two on the two harddisks of another
backup-host-server) of the directory which "makes up" the virtual server. At
night I shutdown the VM via script, synchronize the four directories via rsync
and restart the VM. This way, I loose the changes of one day at the most.
I'm not sure, whether the VMware-snapshot-functionality could be used to backup
a running virtual server, because I haven't investigated that possibility (yet).
But I guess, it should be possible to make a snapshot and backup that via rsync
at a much greater frequenzy...
As my wiki is an internal wiki with under 30 users (most of them not activly
adding to the wiki to boot) and no need for 24/7 availability, I didn't need to
investigate performance and availability-issues that may be connected with using
a virtual server. But I guess there are others reading this list who can add
their experience in that field. ;-)

In short: I've moved the task of data-backup to server-backup via VMware. ;-)

Greetings Kate