[Mediawiki-l] NTLM Authentication

Alex Powell alexp at exscien.com
Tue Sep 18 07:53:41 UTC 2007

Hi,

We tried to solve this a couple of ways, and using the LDAP plugin proved to
be quite fiddly (maybe I just don't get on with X500...). We used to use
IIS, but switched to Apache, then moved the servers to linux - found the
subjective "responsiveness" was better on LAMPP than windows.

We ended up plumping for:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Otheus/Auto_Login_via_REMOTE_USER

... and tweaking it. Its a much simpler extension, that merely creates users
on demand, assuming the server has authenticated them correctly, and doesn't
rely on much other than server config (I think there may be some issues with
cases to resolve). With permissions set right on the sub folder, everything
should work fine. We ended up moving to mysql authentication via auth_mysql,
and keeping separate user lists, but little needed to change.

Hope that helps,

Alex

On 9/18/07, Connolly, Wayne <Wayne.Connolly at team.telstra.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> I have MW 1.10.1 / IIS / WinXP Server 2003 / PHP 5 / SMTP installed and
> working flawlessly on our intranet.
>
> There is only one thing left to do to make this complete -> Automatic
> Authentication against the domain 'ACCOUNT-01' via Windows native NTLM
> authentication.
>
> Before I embark on this journey I was hoping that anyone could offer any
> tips, extension ideas or pitfalls to avoid.
>
> I have found these which seem to work with apache but we use IIS for
> reasons beyond my control.
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Authentication which lists some contenders
> but nothing I would consider yet and http://www.jamiekerwick.co.uk/?p=13
> which is for apache. But what of IIS?
>
> Cheers,

Alex Powell

Exscien Training Ltd
Tel: +44 (0) 1865 920024
Direct: +44 (0) 1865 920032
Mob: +44 (0) 7717 765210

skype: alexp700
mailto:alexp at exscien.com
http://www.exscien.com

Registered in England and Wales 05927635, Unit 10 Wheatley Business Park,
Old London Road, Wheatley, OX33 1XW, England