[Mediawiki-l] error during update from 1.10 to 1.11

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Thu Sep 13 21:49:04 UTC 2007

Hello MediaWiki community,

I tried to update from MediaWiki 1.10.2 to 1.11.0. When executing the
maintenance/update.php script I got following error:

Deleting old default messages (this may take a long time!)...
Fatal error: Call to a member function addGroup() on a non-object
in /home/pierre/public_html/wiki.archlinux.de/maintenance/deleteDefaultMessages.php
on line 19

This happens because "$wgUser" is null and
therefor "$wgUser->addGroup( 'bot' );" fails. This might happen because I use
an AuthPlugin which is not allowed to create new users. (Anyway: I think its
a bug in MediaWiki ;-))

My question is: Is this bot user needed anyway? I patched the script according
to the attachment and everything seems to be fine.

Thanks,

Pierre

PS: I never had such a problem when updating to a newer version.