[Mediawiki-l] How to delete a page in my wiki that cannot befound?

Michael Daly michaeldaly at kayakwiki.org
Thu Sep 13 18:58:36 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:

> Well, it's almost certainly because of the backslashes.

I've been wanting to make the backslash a forbidden character in titles
on my wikis.  However, given the write-once;read-never nature of regular
expressions, I've been unable to figure out which of the numerous
slashes to remove from:

$wgLegalTitleChars = "
%!\"$&'()*,\\-.\\/0-9:;=?@A-Z\\\\^_`a-z~\\x80-\\xFF+";

I've also been too lazy to experiment in my test wiki.  I've been
stymied by the purpose of the four slashes in the "A-Z\\\\^" part of
that string.  It might be obvious to some but not to me.  Is there a
need to double many of the \s here?

I suspect the "\/" is what I should remove, but when I start from the
left and decode the regex, it doesn't seem quite right.

Anyone want to explain what to change to forbid the / or am I doomed to
experimentation?  :-)

Mike

PS the guy that invented regex must have been on highly illegal drugs at
the time. :-)