[Mediawiki-l] Character encoding problem (when moving to another mysql db)

Kai Schlamp schlamp at gmx.de
Sun Sep 9 21:58:20 UTC 2007

> You normally need to instruct mysqldump not to bother messing about
> > with the character set during export; see
> > http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Backing_up_a_wiki#Character_set.

The problem is I don't have the possibility to use mysqldump (with that
appropriate "--deafault-character-set" Option) from the command line. My
provider does not provide it.

> > You may also be able to run the dump file through iconv or similar if
> > it's been corrupted.

Tried iconv, but it also failed. After conversation I get an "Specified
key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes" error during importing.

Is it really such a hard problem to backup the Wikipedia data? Cause the
problem I have, must also involve a normal backup.
No way to simply export and import the database back via phpmyadmin on
MySQL 5 databases. All  foreign special chars get corrupt.
I wonder, why only so few people seem to have that problem.

Kai