[Mediawiki-l] EasyTimeline and Ploticus

Azurite azurite at seventh-star.net
Tue Sep 4 22:46:06 UTC 2007

I'm on a shared server that so far has been very open to MediaWiki and
all my required extensions. My Wiki isn't so large that it needs
dedicated space, but when I asked about installing ploticus.pl
(necessary for the EasyTimeline extension, which I'd like to use), my
host told me I should upgrade to a VPS server, which is beyond my
budget. But I read that I can install the .pl in another location, so
long as LocalSettings.php can see and execute it. Where would be the
best place to put it so it doesn't cause any security issues? I checked
the page, and it said it can install in other places, but there weren't
any recommendations for specific-type locations, like
/extensions/easytimeline or something. I still know the path to my Perl
though, even though I can't put the script itself there.
If I can't install ploticus without a security issue, is there an
alternative extension that I'd be able to run from a shared host?
-Azurite