[Mediawiki-l] uploading images automatically

Rob Church robchur at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 14:46:14 UTC 2007

On 04/09/07, Johannes Perl <johannes.perl at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> I already managed to post into mediawiki with your help.
> Now I've got the problem, that I also should upload images this way.
>
> Is there a possibility to do this?
> The MediaWiki manual says that you have to be logged in to be
> able to upload images.
> Is there a way to do this with a bot who isn't logged in?

No.

The reason we require a logged-in user to perform uploads is
historical; it was done as a measure to prevent drive-by
mass-uploading of crap, copyright-infringing images to the various
Wikipedias.

I don't see any reason any other site would want this restriction
removed, to be honest. If you're using a bot to upload images, make
sure it uses a properly-flagged bot account, and grant bots the right
to upload.

Rob Church