[Mediawiki-l] Skin: Parsing wiki text/extension syntax

Frank Sundermeyer fs at suse.de
Mon Sep 3 13:22:46 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have searched the docs and the mailinglist archives, but couldn't find
an answer to my question, so I hope you can help me:

I have created a complete new skin for opensuse.org:
http://en.test.opensuse.org/

It has got a 3-column layout on the front page, the rest of the pages
have got a 2-column layout. The overall layout of the page forbids to
just enter a 3rd column within the content area (that's how we do it on
the current en.opensuse.org page), so I have used a simple

<?php if (wfMsgForContent( 'mainpage' ) == $this->data['title'] ) { ?>
Additional code for 3rd column
<?php } ?>

within the skin template. Works fine.
Next, I wanted the content for the 3rd column to be editable for sysops
via the wiki - having to alter the skin template every other day is not
an option. So I put the contents into
MediaWiki:Mainpagerightcolumn

The complete code in the skin template looks like this:

<?php if (wfMsgForContent( 'mainpage' ) == $this->data['title'] ) { ?>
  <!-- Insert right navigation bar -->
  <?php print wfMsg('mainpagerightcolumn')  ?>
  <!-- End insert right navigation bar -->
<?php } ?>

Also works fine. The only problem is, that wiki text or extension markup
from "MediaWiki:Mainpagerightcolumn" does not get parsed - it is
inserted "as is" (see first link in the right column). It's basically
the same as if using wiki text in the skin template which also wouldn't
work.
Is there a way to make it work?

--
Thanks
	Frank

Frank Sundermeyer, Technical Writer, Documentation
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg
Tel: +49-911-74053-0, Fax: +49-911-7417755;  http://www.opensuse.org/
Reality is always controlled by the people who are most insane (Dogbert)