[Mediawiki-l] Giberish - by bots?

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Wed Oct 31 00:38:11 UTC 2007

Emufarmers Sangly wrote:
> On 10/28/07, Karl Schmidt <karl at xtronics.com> wrote:
>> Having trouble with bots placing gibberish on our site. I first want to
>> understand the why?
>>
>> It could be :
>>
>>   * They testing or trying to get setup to spam search engine indexes?
>>   * They are measuring the time to rollback?
>>   * Spy code words - pass information anonymously without traceability?
>>   * Want to destroy search engine ranking?
>>   * ??
>>
>> Anyone have a clear understanding of this?
>

> As near as I can tell, these bots (I would call them vandalbots) are simply
> out to maliciously damage wikis,

I'm not sure I agree - the defacement comes regularly from a wide range of IP - I would
assume a bot net.  The defacement often has the same words.  I could see this as a way of
passing code words by foreign agents - much to much trouble just for true vandalism.  I
suppose the NSA would know about it in that case. By splattering the messages across a large
number of wikis there would be no meaningful IP trail to the recipient.

A CAPTCHA has stopped it for now...

Karl Schmidt                         EMail Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.                     WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                    Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                     FAX (785) 841-0434

True wisdom is knowing what we don't know;
True maturity is being comfortable with the idea of not knowing.  -KPS