[Mediawiki-l] Import/Export Word documents to/from wiki

Benjamin Horst bhorst at mac.com
Wed Oct 24 15:59:37 UTC 2007

What I would do (as a user of OpenOffice but not usually MS Office), is take advantage of the latest release of OOo, 2.3, which includes native MediaWiki syntax fluency. Open your MS Word files in OOo and then choose File > Save As. In the dialog, select MediaWiki (.txt) and press Save. Paste the resulting text into your MediaWiki text editing box in your browser.

(I think there is a Word macro that also saves in MediaWiki format too, but I have not looked for it or used it personally.)

As for taking the content from MediaWiki to Word or OpenOffice Writer, I think using copy-paste is the best alternative. Your specific formatting requirements may influence this operation though. You could save the page as HTML locally from your browser, and then open that in your word processor, but that might just introduce more steps to the process unnecessarily.

-Ben

----
OpenOffice and open source blog:
http://www.solidoffice.com/