[Mediawiki-l] Sphinxs Search Config

Paul Grinberg gri6507 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 24 14:16:00 UTC 2007

Michael Heyder <Info at ...> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm really not sure to config the extension:
>
> Step2:
> Update the file paths (/var/data/sphinx/..., /var/log/sphinx/...) and
> create folders as necessary
>
> E:\xampp\htdocs\wiki\sphinx.con
>
> the wiki lies in
> E:\xampp\htdocs\wiki
>
> sphinks lies in
> E:\xampp\sphinxs
>
> # this is path and index file name without extension
> # you may need to change this path or create this folder
> path		= /xampp/data/sphinx/wiki_main
>
> so I would asume the following
> E:\xampp\htdocs\wiki
>
> Is this wright
>
> Thanks for some hints
> & regards
> Mic

Hello Mic,

I think you almost have it right. When editing sphinx.conf (which for you is in
E:\xampp\htdocs\wiki\sphinx.con) you can set the path to any place on the
server that you have write permissions to. So, as long as E:\xampp\htdocs\wiki
is writable by you, then you can set path=E:\xampp\htdocs\wiki\wiki_main.

However, I would recommend putting the sphinx.conf file and pointing the path=
variable to some other place on the server that is not directly accessible from
through the web. This is a pretty large security hole.

Paul.

P.S. I don't follow these forums that closely so I would recommend posting
further questions on the Discussion page of the extension at
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_talk:SphinxSearch