[Mediawiki-l] Banning problem: banning an account and not his IP

Remi.bachelet at ec-lille.fr Remi.bachelet at ec-lille.fr
Sat Oct 20 14:02:29 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I'm running an academic wiki (under Mediawiki 1.8.2), and I have a banning
problem: when I ban a user, all users with the same IP (ie. the whole
student's residence) are banned.

On this wiki, new account creation is disabled and only registered users
can view or post , so when I block an account.. it's blocked.

So is there a solution to ban an account without banning the IP associated
with it? Upgrading to the latest version of Mediawiki? Changing the
settings? Patching?

It tried the various existing options, to no avail, and the doc on this
matter is not entirely clear on IP/vs. account ban
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Block_and_unblock

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Rémi BACHELET
Maître de Conférences, Ecole Centrale de Lille
BP 48   F 59651 VILLENEUVE d'ASCQ
tél (33) 3 20 33 54 66
Bureau D09          http://rb.ec-lille.fr