[Mediawiki-l] New wiki tool + demo + online experiment

Markus Krötzsch mak at aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Oct 18 21:35:45 UTC 2007

Dear all,

we have a reasonably cool new MediaWiki enhancement, a demo site, and an
actual online experiment where you can try it. We would like to ask you to
give it a try (no setup or commitments, just clicking around online :-)

In a nutshell, we have built various "intelligent" tools that read a wiki and
try to make sense of it. The tools then come up with facts that they think
are stated in the wiki, and they ask users whether or not these facts are
correct (this is where you come in). We did this on a Wikipedia copy:

http://test.ontoworld.org/

You can find questions at the bottom of each page (in a real wiki one could
restrict them to certain pages). It's like a quiz ;-), and it should be
possible to find the right answers on the related wiki pages. You can
answer "don't know" if you are not sure, or you can just leave some answers
blank. When you answer yes, the confirmed fact will be added to the wiki (we
use Semantic MediaWiki to represent facts). You can see this as a
contribution of your user-login/IP (feel free to get a user account if you
want to track your contributions). The tool will also use your answers to
learn how to better interpret the wiki in the future. So please have a look
and answer a couple of questions.

Do not be dismayed if some suggestions of the tool are nonesense. They are in
random order, and many of them are actually quite good. We will publish
details about how good the tool performed overall, so please give proper
answers ;-) Let us (i.e. Sebastian and me, see header) know if you have any
comments/questions.

Thanks a lot!

Markus

P.S. We will publish all of the associated software soon, but we still need
some testing first. Your contribution is very helpful to us! The
question-extension for MediaWiki will be fairly modular, and could also be
used to ask completely different questions to users, or in combination with
other tools for improving the wiki. Such tools use a web interface, can run
on a different server, and may use arbitrary programming languages.

--
Markus Krötzsch
Institut AIFB, Universät Karlsruhe (TH), 76128 Karlsruhe