[Mediawiki-l] jibberish

Eric K ek79501 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 16 11:56:37 UTC 2007

I think making an IP do a captcha on its first edit only would help. The captcha would keep a record of the most recent IP's in a table and if an edit hasnt been recorded from them, give them a captcha, otherwise pass. This may mean the IP table would grow large (may not be fast for large wikis with lots of editing), but purge it a certain period (15 days etc). Captcha has to be there one way or the other. This is least irritating.
  There is definitely no way to check if an edit is spam or not, except for capthcha.

Dan Bolser <dan.bolser at gmail.com> wrote:
  On 16/10/2007, Chuck wrote:
> Has anybody found a solution for the gibberish spam short of installing
> captcha extensions?

Not here. I set anonymous edits to false and installed reCaptcha.

Installing reCaptcha doesn't really constitute a big change to the
wiki (its quite unobtrusive really), but disallowing anonymous edits
is a pain. This is especially true of pre 1.11.0 MW versions where

In theory there should be a simple SQL query to detect these kinds of
spam (one nonsense word at the start of a page) - However, it seems
better to code a general solution that highlights potential spam for
review. Its keeping track of the potentially spammed pages that I find
most difficult.

Anyone handy with Bayesian filters? If we could rank edits by
'spaminess' using a Bayesian filter, and be given the option to review
the top n most spammy revisions (with feedback training) ... well...
that would be great!

Send all your edits to a gmail account and only allow those that get
forwarded back?

> Chuck
>
> 2007 at gmask.com wrote:
> > Yea I don't want to stop anonymous users but it seems like that might
> > be neccessary.. or it would be great if you could captcha new posts
> > from either new users or unfamiliar IP's.
> >
> > -Adrian
> >

> > --- Chuck wrote:

> >>stopped the junk. I hope there's a better solution out there!

> >>We're having the same problem with our wikis. It seems that this
> >>could
> >>be solved if thereis a switch in MediaWiki that really mandates that
> >>changes be made by registered users.
> >>
> >>We are planning to implement the other spam measures mentioned on
> >>this list.
> >>
> >>Thanks to the advice from last week about how to stop DIV spam.
> >>
> >>Chuck

> --

hello