[Mediawiki-l] update.php error when upgrading to 1.11.0 - table already exists

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Sat Oct 6 01:20:22 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I'm trying to upgrade my wiki from MW1.8.2 to 1.11.0, but the upgrade
script bombs out with an error, telling me one of the database tables
already exists.  Am I doing something wrong?  I thought the table
would've been ignored/upgraded if it already existed.

$ php update.php
MediaWiki 1.11.0 Updater

Going to run database updates for testupgrade
Depending on the size of your database this may take a while!
Abort with control-c in the next five seconds...0
...hitcounter table already exists.
...querycache table already exists.
...objectcache table already exists.
...categorylinks table already exists.
...logging table already exists.
...user_newtalk table already exists.
...transcache table already exists.
...trackbacks table already exists.
Creating externallinks table...Query "CREATE TABLE `externallinks` (
  el_from int(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  el_to blob NOT NULL,
  el_index blob NOT NULL,
  KEY (el_from, el_to(40)),
  KEY (el_to(60), el_from),
  KEY (el_index(60))
  ) TYPE=InnoDB
" failed with error code "Table 'externallinks' already exists (localhost)".

Thanks,
Adam.