[Mediawiki-l] Problems with Logo after upgrade of MW

Alexis Moinet alexis.moinet at fpms.ac.be
Fri Oct 5 12:04:06 UTC 2007

Katharina Wolkwitz a écrit :
> Hi again,
>
> I think I've found the reason, why it wouldn't work for me before.
> It seems that mediawiki uses a different definition of relative or absolut paths
> than I knew.
>
> For example in my installation $wgScriptPath is set to "/_fhbwiki".
> Afaik normally (in html, shellscripts or programming-languages) that's an
> absolut path and points to a directory or file directly beneath the root-node of
> a linux-system. It seems that here this path points to a directory beneath the
> document-root of the same linux-system (whereever that may be).
>
> If one sets the path for $wgLogo like this
> $wgLogo = "/_fhbwiki/skins/common/images/fhbwiki2.jpg";
> it works, but
> $wgLogo = "/opt/lampp/htdocs/_fhbwiki/skins/common/images/fhbwiki2.jpg";
> doesn't.
>
> In http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:%24wgScriptPath the value for
> §wgScriptPath is defined as a relative path but the example shows /wiki, which
> to me was an absolut path (until now).
>
> Is this something unique to mediawiki or is it a "feature" of PHP?
>
> Greetings
> Kate

/wiki is an absolute *server* path (i.e. *from the point of view of your web host*), it's like the "/" refers to the root of your domain (i.e. the http://www.domain.org), not to the root of the physical thing you also call a server (like in /home, /boot,

/wiki can be seen as a sort of relative path from the point of view of your web directory (/opt/lampp/htdocs/) on the physical computer.

For instance if you consider the html tag "img",  you can use src="http://yourdomain/wiki/image.png" or src="/wiki/image.png" which are absolute *server* path but (normally) you shouldn't be allowed to use src="/var/www/wiki/image.png" which is absolute
*computer* path

you can also use src="./image.png" or src="../../anotherfolder/image2.png" which are relative *server* path (--> again, relative to the location of the current page *from the host point of view*, not from the physical point of view)

I hope I haven't been too "unclear" nor incorrect.