[Mediawiki-l] Help with extracting maximum data from Templates: Semantic Wiki and Dynamic Page Lists

The Gadget Doctor mediawiki at thegadgetdoctor.com
Mon Nov 26 14:11:00 UTC 2007

I'm on the verge of being able to do what I want, but not quite there.
Perhaps someone can push me over the edge?

I have templates one of which looks like this:

{{Web citation
|web link=
|title=
|author=
|date=Month dd, YYYY
|source=
|wesay=
|extract=}}

I can call this template a number of times on any given page and list a
number of links to articles all over the web. When the template presents its
output it makes variables like {{{author}}} and {{{source}}} into internal
wiki links.

Let's say we have:
source=New York Times
and that appears in many calls to this template from many pages. On the
summary page that I will have for the New York Times, I'd love to have a
list of all the titles and links to the articles for the NYT that I quote
from across the wiki (even if they are on pages that contain other article
links to other sources).

I'm playing with both the Semantic Media extension and the DPL. With DPL I
can get a list of all pages that contain some link to the NYT. I can even
(through use of the template feature) get access to the other parts of the
template calls to get at the {{{title}}} and {{{web link}}} parameters. The
problem is this query will always give me all the OTHER articles referenced
on those pages, even if they aren't for the NYT.

I've not worked out if Semantic can help me yet on this either. It seems to
be about categorising whole pages as well.

If you've got this far and are interested in helping me, well done! I am
close to having something of quite general use, but I'm not there yet.

Gadget Doctor