[Mediawiki-l] Internal links to articles

Tim Doyle tim at greenscourt.com
Sun Nov 18 21:13:19 UTC 2007

I can think of two ways to accomplish this without resorting to a manual
process.

First, install and configure pywikipediabot, then use its rename.py script
to make the desired changes. You should be able to have the script iterate
through a set of pages (all pages in a given namespace, for example), and
convert " cat " to " [[cat]] ". This would need to be run for each such
topic that you wanted to link to.

Second, you could make a customized change to the MediaWiki program to do
such a conversion "on the fly", as each page was being processed for view.

There are pros and cons to each method. For example, the first involves more
pre-processing but would result in quicker page delivery. The second
involves no editing of the actual data on the pages, but would cost some
processing each time the page was viewed. Neither method is easy, and would
require you to spend some time getting things set up and tested.

See http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Using_the_python_wikipediabot for more
information on pywikipedia.

Also, there may be existing MediaWiki extensions which might do what you
need to do. See the following:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AutoLink

Good luck!

Tim Doyle