[Mediawiki-l] Changing database subsystem

Harald Husemann harald.husemann at materna.de
Fri Nov 16 23:31:06 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I'm in the process of moving an already productive Mediawiki with many
users and articles to another host. (Mediawiki version is 1.10.1, I will
upgrade to the newest release after the move).
I've read the article at
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Moving_a_wiki, and it seems that
moving the wiki is quite simple, as long as I use the same version on
both systems.
But, there's a little problem: I'd also like to change the database
backend from mySQL to PostgreSQL (I know that mySQL is as good as
Postgres, but using it is not an option anymore, since my company's
policy is to use and support PostgreSQL and only PostgreSQL in the
future, and no other free RDBMS).
So, the big question is, how can I move the database content from mySQL
to Postgres?
Of course I can simple dump the wiki in XML, and re-import it into the
new system, but as far as I understand, this would mean that all user
logins, logging informations, atc. are lost, right?
Is there a quick and simple way to do it? I've already searched the
manual, the FAQ and the mailinglist archives, without success...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

and have a nice hackin',

Harald