[Mediawiki-l] AuthPlugins and Overwriting Preferences

Lane, Ryan Ryan.Lane at ocean.navo.navy.mil
Thu Nov 15 19:31:50 UTC 2007

> Also, when trying to update preferences, if
> AuthPlugin::updateExternalDB() returns false an error is displayed:
>
> "There was either an external authentication database error or you are
> not allowed to update your external account."
>
> Why does this error occur? I do not want to store preferences
> externally. Why does MW not store preferences locally regardless of
> what updateExternalDB returns?

Since I wrote that part in, I guess I'll comment on it...

updateExternalDB() is exactly what the name implies. It is for updating
an external database, meaning not MediaWiki's. In the case of
LDAPAuthentication, it updates the user's LDAP entry.

If for some reason the function fails to update the external database
(and returns false), that error message should be reported.

Why are you returning false from that function if you aren't using it?
Just return true (the default).

V/r,

Ryan Lane