[Mediawiki-l] how to create a bureaucrats group which in turn gives

shirish shirishag75 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 15:04:44 UTC 2007

Replies in-line

> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 13:27:28 +0000
> From: "Thomas Dalton" <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Mediawiki-l] how to create a bureaucrats group which in
>         turn    gives access to other people to make edits.
> To: "MediaWiki announcements and site admin list"
>         <mediawiki-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
>
> On 03/11/2007, shirish <shirishag75 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >         I'm making/playing with a wiki site where I want to make a
> > "user group"  who in turn will give access to other people to do
> > edits/submissions stuff like that.  No anonymous editing is done.
> > Right now I've done
> >
> > # Prevent new user registrations except by sysops
> > $wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;
> >
> > This is done in LocalSettings.php
> >
> > which basically prevents anybody from doing any edits except a single
> > user.  I am using MySQL as my database. I saw this which might have
> > the goods which I need
> > http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:%24wgGroupPermissions but unable
> > to make sense of it.
>
> Do you actually want to restrict account creation, or just editing?
> It's often easier to let people create their own accounts, and then
> just have someone give them permission to edit. To do that, try
> something like:
>
> $wgGroupPermissions['*']['read'] = true; # Allow anons to read
> $wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = true; # Allow anons to
> create accounts
> $wgGroupPermissions['*']['edit'] = false; # Stop anon edits
> $wgGroupPermissions['user']['edit'] = false; # Stop accounts without
> permission editing
> $wgGroupPermissions['editor']['edit'] = true; # Create a new user
> group for people with permission to edit
> $wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['userrights'] = true; # let sysop change
> user permissions
>
> $wgAddGroups['sysop'] = array( 'editor' ); # Allow sysops to grant
> edit permissions on Special:Userrights
> $wgRemoveGroups['sysop'] = array( 'editor'); # Allow sysops to remove
> those permissions
>
> Hope that helps. You may want to fine tune a few bits (who can create
> pages, create talk pages, etc).

Hi Thomas,
         You really made my day. I'm guessing these are things if I
talk 'editor' as the usergroup which explicitly has been given
permissions in addition to what you have outlined.

$wgGroupPermissions['editor' ]['createpage']      = true; #Give
createpage permissions only to usergroup

$wgGroupPermissions['editor' ]['createtalk']      = true; #Give
talkpage create permissions only to usergroup

   Another query which occured to me, although it may be totally
foolish, what do people think of having only 1 sysop or should there
be more than 1 sysop? On what factors should this be done?  For e.g.
do wikipedia & memoryalpha.org (both high-visited sites having large
scale vandalism as well as big user-bases so really not my cup of tea
but still just to know what people think)

Also for creating a usergroup called 'editor' for e.g. . Now does that
usergroup needs to be created in mysql or not? As told before totally
a baby/noob in these matters.

Lastly, Thomas thank you for using/sharing your valuable time & insight .

Regards,
--
          Shirish Agarwal

065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17