[Mediawiki-l] Setting up a wiki family, scenario 2 - clarification?

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Thu Nov 1 11:58:00 UTC 2007

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Wiki_family#Scenario_2:_Quick_set-u
> as I understand it, I make my installation,
> then for each sub-wiki, as it were, I merely
> create a copy of the LocalSettings.php file
> for each wiki as appropriate, in the root
> directory - so if the code base is in
> /opt/www/wiki, all of the LocalSettings.php
> copies land here for each subwiki, with one
> single LocalSettings.php controlling the
> whole show.  Is this correct, or did I
> misread something?

	Peter Blaise responds: Yeah, you got it wrong.

	LocalSettings.php moves from a yourwiki\config subdirectory
under each wiki to the root of each wiki, not to the root of your web,
and so each wiki is a subdirectory of your web share.  This is how mine
go on Windows, your pattern may vary:

X:\www\apache2\htdocs\wiki1\config (deleted)
X:\www\apache2\htdocs\wiki1\ (contains moved LocalSettings.php from
above)
X:\www\apache2\htdocs\wiki2\config (deleted)
X:\www\apache2\htdocs\wiki2\ (contains moved LocalSettings.php from
above)
X:\www\apache2\htdocs\wiki3\config (deleted)
X:\www\apache2\htdocs\wiki3\config (contains moved LocalSettings.php
from above)
X:\www\apache2\htdocs\wiki4\config (deleted)
X:\www\apache2\htdocs\wiki4\config (contains moved LocalSettings.php
from above)
X:\www\apache2\htdocs\wiki5\config (deleted)
X:\www\apache2\htdocs\wiki5\config (contains moved LocalSettings.php
from above)

	... and so on, all using common:

X:\www\apache2
X:\www\mysql5
X:\www\php5
X:\www\apache2\htdocs\phpmyadmin
X:\www\apache2\htdocs\temp

	I wish there was a way to share extensions - do I just have to
try creative calling in LocalSettings.php?  Perhaps have them all refer
to:

X:\www\apache2\htdocs\mediawiki\extensions

	Has anyone tried this?  Right now, I have copies of any
extensions I'd like to use, duplicated in each wiki.  That makes them
independent and portable, backup wise, and I suppose the extensions
aren't really large, space wise.  But I have to remember to update each.
However, it does allow me to experiment in one wiki and get it right
before cloning to the others.  If they all depended on the same source
all the time, I'd have to experiment in yet another playground, like:

X:\www\apache2\htdocs\mediawiki\test-extensions

	... then move any success to the real live common area.

	The beauty of keeping each separate is that I can rubber stamp
any success from one to the others, and even leave one "old" and not
updated if stability is happy making.  Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix
it.  I'm impressed with some of the antique wikis running out there -
some as old as 18 months or older!  =8^o

	Anyway, LocalSettings.php stays in the root of each of your
WIKIs, not the root of your WEB!