[Mediawiki-l] Including unmatched HTML tags in templates? How to?

Ken McDonald ken at pixologic.com
Tue May 29 20:45:13 UTC 2007

I would like to define two templates, one being a "start" template which
contains

and the other containing just

However, the "</div>" is being escaped by the MW engine, so appears
verbatim in the page, rather than functioning as an HTML end tag.

Is there a way around this? I'm guessing the problem is that the MW
engine doesn't see matching start and end divs when it parses the
markup, and so decides that </div> should be interpreted literally
rather than as HTML.

Defining just a single template that wraps the tags around the content
is not an option; the stuff within the tags can be quite complex, and
our experience is that the standard markup is just too fragile to be
able to do that sort of thing.

We could of course just put literal divs into the pages, but that gets
messy, and also means we can't change the style in the future.

Many thanks for your suggestions,
Ken