[Mediawiki-l] Is MediaWiki-l dysfunctional? What is it good for, really? and Re: Any leads on a basic wiki setup-and-configure instruction manual?

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Fri May 25 18:15:55 UTC 2007

> Kasimir wrote: Peter, you are absolutely
> correct in your assumption.  I have never
> documented all of the steps that it takes
> me to install a working MediaWiki
> installation.  Seeing that I was making an
> assumption, I will proceed to document my
> success story...
>
>  Operating system: Debian Etch
> Installation of Apache and MySQL and PHP
> and Squid and ImageMagick all together:

... and so on ... 500 words later ...

> Kasimir wrote: There is one mistake which
> I directly see in my previous post.  instead of
>`mysqladmin NEWROOTUSERPASSWORD`
> it should be:
> `mysqladmin password NEWROOTUSERPASSWORD`
> Sorry, Kasimir

Kasimir, I love you,. man.

Thank you very, very much!

Now put it on MediaWiki.org!

I'm reading through it and notice many helpful pointers, such as
checking port 80 and coordinating passwords for each module, and though
I'm on Windows, I understand your `chmod 0777 -R images` (turns on read,
write, and execute permissions, and turns off the hidden, archive, and
system attributes, recursive through subdirectories)- that's why I'm
looking to absolutely know what it tales to install MediaWiki and it's
support stuff on Windows with and without admin privileges for my
user/customers.

-- Peter Blaise

PS - Dang these "basic" mailing lists.  Yahoogroups at least allows
images in emails (though it no longer archives them and strips them from
digests).  My documentation has screen grabs AND screen OCR text
(http://www.structurise.com/kleptomania/index.shtml  or
http://www.capturetext.com/ and
http://www.etrusoft.com/screen-capture-software-reviews/ ) AND my
choices and notes, links to explanations on each choice, and so on.
Hey, Next week, I won't remember a blessed thing - I better write it
down!  =8^o

Re: Is MediaWiki-l dysfunctional? What is it good for, really? and Re:
Any leads on a basic wiki setup-and-configure instruction manual?