[Mediawiki-l] Is MediaWiki-l dysfunctional? What is it good for, really?

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Wed May 23 14:35:59 UTC 2007

Hi Gary,

Just to clarify:

> Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 14:15:37 +0100

> From: "Gary Kirk" <gary.kirk at gmail.com>

> Subject: Re: [Mediawiki-l] Is MediaWiki-l

>     dysfunctional? What is it good for, really?

> To: "MediaWiki announcements and site

>     admin list" <mediawiki-l at lists.wikimedia.org>

> I am growing frustrated with your messages...

Peter Blaise says: Then either ignore me or respond to me privately, off
list, eh?

> Gary says: Nobody is forcing you to use,

> view, or post to this mailing list...

Peter Blaise says: Nor you.  But somehow, I've had trouble getting my
situation presented - not enough room to address BIG problems?  Hence my
question, what's the list for, really?

> Gary says: If you want people's responses

> when they send them, why sign up to the

> digest version? You can change your

> settings at lists.wikimedia.org...

Peter Blaise says: I don't want their response when they send them, one
by one, I want to read all engaged dialogical responses from all
contributors all together as much as possible, with each of us
responding to each other feedback in process.  The digest was arriving
multiple times daily, then stopped for days, hence my question, is the
list dysfunctional?

> Gary says: There is support available on

> MediaWiki.org:

> mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:Support_desk.

> There's also #mediawik at irc.freenode.net...

Peter Blaise says: Nope.  Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.  There
is no "there" there.

> Gary says: This list is a fantastic resource

> and you have done nothing but rubbish it

> or complain. Remember, we don't owe you

> anything, but as we're nice people, we'll try

> and help. We're all also human, and we

> have limits...

Peter Blaise says: Complain?  Heck - all I'm asking for is HELP, and
specific help at that!  This list has been ZERO support for me and my
problems as presented.  So, our experience differ.

However, please set me straight - contribute an accurate answer today!

If YOU know how to install MediaWiki on Window XP Pro with Apache, PHP,
MySQL and PHPMyAdmin, then please contribute your notes and make the
list as useful for me as you claim it is for you.

Thanks!

- Peter Blaise