[Mediawiki-l] Importing Content

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Tue May 22 17:40:39 UTC 2007

> Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 14:59:40 -0600
> From: "G. Carter" <gcarter2000 at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Mediawiki-l] Importing Content
> To: mediawiki-l at lists.wikimedia.org
> Hi:
> Where can I find information on importing
> content into my Wiki?
> Thanks

Hi and welcome, G. Carter,

It depends on the content.

I import Microsoft Word documents with
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_talk:Word2MediaWikiPlus which
converts documents and pictures and facilitates uploading both, though
it's for cut-and-paste, one document at a time.  It took me ~3 hours to
clean up, convert and upload ~500,000 words in ~30 long documents.

Other documents require hand schmoozing, though I'm planning to
subcontract (six figures?) mass conversion of large quantities of legacy
documents in DOC, PDF and other formats, like PPT, XLS and so on, and my
goal is NOT mere one-time conversion but a useful ongoing conversion
tool for new documents, AND converting from Wiki TO other formats (hence
the big price tag!).

Or, do you mean import from an existing Wiki into a new Wiki?

Tell us more - what is your exact situation, what are your resources and
skill set?  Also, please tell us where you searched and what you
searched for and what results you've found so far, that would help
reduce out guesswork a great deal.

Peter Blaise, Wiki-on-WOS-lover! (the ONLY Wiki that's worked for me so
far!)