[Mediawiki-l] recentchanges Was: [Wikitech-l] importDump and setting rc_bot

Jim Hu jimhu at tamu.edu
Mon May 21 17:34:23 UTC 2007

OK, now that I've looked into the code some more (looking at 1.9.3).
I see that I have a somewhat different problem.

Here's what's going on.  I have some wikis where I regularly update
page content from an external source using a script that generates
xml like what the exporter generates.  These get loaded via
importdump.php and are marked in the page histories as
revisions...which is working fine.

The problem is that I want to be able to see in recentchanges when a
human has edited the pages.  So, I want to have the script-generated
pages marked as bot edits and let the human changes show through.  I
can mark the script-generated pages as being from a bot by flagging
them in the recentchanges...but the human ones still aren't there
because the limit on 5000 entries in recentchanges when
rebuildrecentchanges.php runs.  My scripts run daily and they
typically affect more than 5000 pages at a time.

I'm concerned that just raising or eliminating the limit will make
things unacceptably slow and make the table too large.  I'm wondering
about hacking the script to separate passes for bots and non-bots.
Thoughts?

Jim

p.s. I decided to sent this just to mediawiki-l and not wikitech,
since presumably the wikipedias don't have this problem.