[Mediawiki-l] New Install

Georgi Hristozov georgi at forkbomb.nl
Wed May 16 17:04:21 UTC 2007

G. Carter wrote:
> The only user I curently have in my MySQL DB is root and it's not yet
> password protected (new install).  Can I install MediaWiki w/this user as
> is?
>
> Thanks

Hi,
A few months ago I experienced serious problems with the cyrillic
characters (on UTF-8) when using the "root" user with my wiki. It seems
that it is a built-in "feature" in MySQL 5. This is just one of the
non-security risks to use "root". If you're unfamiliar with the SQL
syntax, you can easily create users and grant privileges with phpMyAdmin.

--
Georgi Hristozov
georgi at forkbomb.nl