[Mediawiki-l] Installation problem with MW 1.6.10 on 64-bit FC4 php 5.04

Scott Ackerman lists at scott-ackerman.com
Mon May 14 00:15:12 UTC 2007

I am "trying" to install MediWiki 1.6.10 on a 64bit Fedora Core 4 Box
running php 5.04. I would prefer to install a newer version, but the
installer keeps "barking" that my php version is buggy, and I would
rather not go through the brain damage of upgrading as this is a live
web host that I have clients on.

Anyway, after I extract the files, run the installer, I get the
following message:

    * PHP 5.0.4 installed
    * PHP server API is apache2handler; ok, using pretty URLs
      (index.php/Page_Title)
    * Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
    * PHP's memory_limit is 16M. *If this is too low, installation may
      fail!* Attempting to raise limit to 20M... ok.
    * Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
    * Neither Turck MMCache <http://turck-mmcache.sourceforge.net/> nor
      eAccelerator <http://eaccelerator.sourceforge.net/> are installed,
      can't use object caching functions
    * GNU diff3 not found.
    * Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be
      enabled if you enable uploads.
    * Installation directory:
      /var/www/vhosts/sustainable-it.com/httpdocs/joomla/mediawiki
    * Script URI path: /mediawiki
    * Environment checked. You can install MediaWiki.
    * Warning: $wgSecretKey key is insecure, generated with mt_rand().
      Consider changing it manually.

      *Generating configuration file...*

    * Database type: mysql
    * Attempting to connect to database server as wiki_user...success.
    * Connected to 4.1.20
    * Database db_sustainable_wiki exists
    * There are already MediaWiki tables in this database. Checking if
      updates are needed...

      ...hitcounter table already exists.
      ...querycache table already exists.
      ...objectcache table already exists.
      ...categorylinks table already exists.
      ...logging table already exists.
      ...validate table already exists.
      ...user_newtalk table already exists.
      ...transcache table already exists.
      ...trackbacks table already exists.
      ...externallinks table already exists.
      Creating job table...Query "CREATE TABLE `mw_job` (
       job_id int(9) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
       job_cmd varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
       job_namespace int NOT NULL,
       job_title varchar(255) binary NOT NULL,
       job_params blob NOT NULL default '',
       PRIMARY KEY job_id (job_id),
       KEY (job_cmd, job_namespace, job_title)
       ) TYPE=InnoDB
      " failed with error code "Specified key was too long; max key length is 1024 bytes (localhost)".

As you can see I have attempted to install this several times. I did a
Google search for the "Specified key was too long; max key length.." and
found a post, but the instructions a bit misleading as it indicated the
presence of a file called "tables.sql" and a file under the maintenance
subdirectory called "tables.sql". I found a file under maintenance and
another under maintenance>mysql5 called "tables.sql" but changing both
of them didn't seem to work. Unless of course I fouled something up. Any
other ideas?

--
Scott Ackerman
1212 Baker Street

"Every improvement in the standard of work men do is followed swiftly and inevitably by an improvement in the men who do it" - William Morris