[Mediawiki-l] "Recent Changes" RSS Feed from a Protected Wiki

Norbert Hoeller nhoeller at sinet.ca
Sun May 13 18:28:39 UTC 2007

I have created a Wiki where the user needs to be logged in for both
reading and editing.  I dragged the RSS link on "Recent Changes" to
RSSBandit (which I have used successfully with username/password protected
TypePad RSS feeds) and entered my Wiki username/password in the
authentication dialogue.  However, RSSBandit cannot access the feed: I get
a "General Failure:  Refresh feed 'xxx' failed with error: Object
reference not set to an instance of an object."  I am running MediaWiki
1.10.0 and RSSBandit 1.5.0.10.

I was successfully able to add the feed to FireFox Live Bookmarks, because
I was already logging into the Wiki from Firefox.  I suspect that
RSSBandit knows how to present the username/password to TypePad, since
TypePad uses the normal Apache protected directory authentication method.
However, in the case of MediaWiki, RSSBandit would have to login and then
follow the link back to the original page.  Am I on the right track, and
is there a way I can get around this problem?
               Thanks, Norbert