[Mediawiki-l] import db: charset problem

Klaus Becker colonius at free.fr
Sun May 13 13:21:56 UTC 2007

Hi,

with mediawiki 1.9.3, I have a big charset problem with german and french
special caracters.
I begin with a basic question:

in the database, a word like "Université" ist stored as "Université"
in "page_title - varchar(255) - latin1_bin". Is that correct ? I suppose no.
Why is collation "latin1_bin" but phpmyadmin says "MySQL charset:  UTF-8
Unicode (utf8)" ?

In another datase of a personal php-site, the same word is stored
as "Université" in "varchar(100)  latin1_swedish_ci" and this works.

In the wiki, all internal links with caracters like "é", "ä" and so on don't
work after export/import by phpmyadmin.

cheers

Klaus