[Mediawiki-l] Semantic extensions to Mediawiki other than Semantic Mediawiki?

Kelly Jones kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com
Fri May 4 23:13:33 UTC 2007

There are a lot of semantic wikis out there, but I really like
Mediawiki and want a semantic wiki that has all of its features.

I've tried Semantic Mediawiki, but dislike its one major limitation:
on page X, you can only create triples starting with X.

I'm sure this works well when importing semantic data into a wiki, but
doesn't work so well when you're creating a wiki from scratch.

Example: for each book in a series, I'm creating a book page, and
listing characters in the book:

* [[Galder Weatherwax]], male human [[wizard]]
* [[Buggy Swires]], male [[gnome]]
* [[Lackjaw]], dwarf jeweler
* [[Weems]], male human [[mercenary]] born in [[Morpork]]

I'd like to semantically annotate this data, example:

Weems appears_in (bookname)
Weems birthplace Morpork
Weems race human
Weems gender male
Weems occupation mercenary

Semantic Mediawiki requires me to create a separate page for each
character, which quickly becomes a depth-first nightmare.

Is there a Mediawiki extension that will let me do this? I know there
are arguments against this sort of thing (eg, data consistency), but I
think the benefit outweighs the risk.

I'm tempted to use Mediawiki hooks to write something myself, but
wanted to check for existing extensions first.