[Mediawiki-l] Table of Contents to include subpages?

Frederik Dohr fdg001 at gmx.net
Fri Mar 30 09:46:17 UTC 2007

Hello all,

Is there an elegant way to have the automatically created Table of
Contents also take into account headings from subpages?

Let's say we're composing a manual, which consists of several chapters
(and maybe even sub-chapters):
     1. Introduction
     2. Basics
     2.1. Installation
     2.2. Setup
Now each of those (sub-)chapters has its own subpage:
     Manual
     Manual/Introduction
     Manual/Basics
     Manual/Basics/Installation
     Manual/Basics/Setup

The resulting ToC might then look somewhat like the following:

     = Introduction =
     == Legal Disclaimer ==
     == Copyright Notice ==

     = Basics =

     == Installation ==
     === Requirements ===
     === Download ===
     === Installation Process ==

     == Setup ==
     === Network Configuration ===
     === User Configuration ===

I figure this wouldn't be easy (also because of the order in which to
include the respective subpages) - but maybe someone has thought of this
before!?
If not, we'll just create the ToC manually (maybe making use of
transclusion to include the subpages in an extra page, which would then
contain the ToC).

Thanks,

F.