[Mediawiki-l] Three questions...

Robert Leverington lcarsdata at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 21 18:15:24 UTC 2007

On 21/03/07, khuffman at ngs.org <khuffman at ngs.org> wrote:
> Hi, I'm using MediaWiki 1.8.x (mostly) and have three questions:
>
> 1) Does MediaWiki have the ability to check for bad links/link checker
> functionality?  I saw/tested this extension
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:LinkSearch  but looks like it's
> more for "information" than has the additional utility I'm looking for.
> How do others handle the management of links going bad/dead links with
> MediaWiki?

MediaWiki cannot do this but external tools such as
http://validator.w3.org/checklink can be used to do that.

> 2) Is upgrading from 1.8.x to 1.10.x okay to do OR do you recommend going
> from 1.8.x to 1.9.x to 1.10.x?

1.8 -> 1.10 is fine but unless you know what you are doing and can
risk some downtime 1.10 is not recommended.

> 3) I have gotten my bulk import to work using an XML file and
> Special:Import page.  Is there another way that you could bulk export ALL
> your records without have to do it manually using the Special:Export page?
>  I suppose I could extract from MySQL table just the page titles... and
> then paste into the Special:Export page but just thought I'd check first
> on the listserv.

I believe there is a maintenance script or external program but cannot find it.