[Mediawiki-l] Change the 'you must login' URL?

Jim Wilson wilson.jim.r at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 05:35:48 UTC 2007

> Is there an easy way to change this to make it consistent with the other
> link? I am looking to change it to a hard coded URL (mydomain.com) which I
> understand will lose the previous page info.

Yes there is.  To do so, log in as a Sysop and go to the article called
"MediaWiki:Whitelistedittext".

One easy way to get there is to search for this string using the "Go" button
- then choose the "create this page" link from the search results page.

The edit box should be preloaded with this text:

    You have to $1 to edit pages.

Change this to the following:

    You have to <span class="plainlinks">[http://mydomain.com log in]</span>
to edit pages.

Save the page with your changes. That's it!

In general, when you want to change static text that appears in the wiki,
that text is stored in a system message that can be overridden via an
article in the MediaWiki namespace (as above).

To see a list of all such system messages, check out "Special:Allmessages".

Hope this helps.

-- Jim R. Wilson (jimbojw)