[Mediawiki-l] DekiWiki

Gregory Szorc gregory.szorc at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 20:21:07 UTC 2007

I just discovered DekiWiki (http://doc.opengarden.org/DekiWiki) and thought
I'd share it with others on this list (I don't believe it has been mentioned
on here before).

DekiWiki is a fork of MediaWiki (appears to be based on the 1.4.x line).
They have provided numerous features that many on this list desire from
MediaWiki, including WYSIWYG, granular access permissions, a definite page
hierarchy, and per-page attachments.  It is worth noting that the target
audience and desired usage of DekiWiki is substantially different from
MediaWiki's.  I would say DekiWiki is more like Confluence or XWiki than
MediaWiki.  As such, many of the MediaWiki features you have grown to love
(including the wiki syntax) are not included.  So, evaluate with care.

I'm not trying to incite rage against MediaWiki or actively praise DekiWiki,
I'm just trying to spread the word.  The MediaWiki developers will
acknowledge that MediaWiki serves a targeted audience and getting MediaWiki
to play nice in some environments (per-page access permissions, for example)
is like pounding a square peg in a round hole.  Well, DekiWiki might be your
round peg and you might even be able to salvage your MediaWiki knowledge
when it comes to hacking DekiWiki.

Cheers,

Gregory Szorc
gregory.szorc at gmail.com