[Mediawiki-l] Bulk importing using importTextFile.php or a client-side bot tools

khuffman at NGS.ORG khuffman at NGS.ORG
Sat Mar 10 21:05:23 UTC 2007

Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 09:47:46 -0500
From: Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com>
Subject: Re: [Mediawiki-l] Bulk import 6500 records into the template
                 namespace
To: MediaWiki announcements and site admin list
                 <mediawiki-l at lists.wikimedia.org>

brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com / brion @ wikimedia.org) wrote:
> Use Special:Import or importDump.php with the XML wrapper format, or
> importTextFile.php with individual text files, or have one of many
> client-side bot tools do the batch-editing.

Additional question:
Are there more detailed instructions on how to use/access the
importTextFile.php or client-side bot tools?  I see the file
importTextFile.php in the maintenance folder but not sure how to get to it
on my Web hoster.  When I navigate through my browser, I don't have
access/permissions to these files even if I change permissions to 0777.
So, any pointers to more detailed directions on how to use these files
would be great. Thank you!