[Mediawiki-l] Imagemap problems

Michael Daly mikedaly at magma.ca
Tue Mar 6 16:25:47 UTC 2007

I upgraded from MW 1.6.3 to 1.9.2 and image maps no longer work.  I was
using the version from Shannon McNaught (SM) (one of the examples on the
chekmate.org imagemap page is from my wiki - Shannon helped sort out
some problems with imagemap on my wiki).  However, it no longer functions.

I looked at the Meta page on imagemaps and saw a link to a 1.9
compatible version of imagemap by Tim Starling (TS).  This one "works",
however is not compatible with the old imagemap extension.

It is entirely possible these problems are something I am doing wrong,
however:

1 - SM version uses map files; TS version embeds map info inline.  The
former is easier to maintain if the map is used in many locations - e.g.
multilingual wiki.  Is there a syntax for TS that allows map files to be
used?

2 - SM version is case insensitive.  TS version insists that keywords
(poly, rect etc) are lower case.

3 - SM version's map files are virtually identical to HTML map syntax
making HTML map tools easy to use to generate map files.  TS version
doesn't seem to like comma-delimited vertices etc.

Before I spend a lot of time converting all the maps on my wiki to use
the TS extension, is there any possibility of finding a way to make the
two versions compatible?  I prefer the low-maintenance aspects of SM's
version but need to fix imagemap real soon.

Mike