[Mediawiki-l] Table editing

Jim Hu jimhu at tamu.edu
Fri Mar 2 22:57:16 UTC 2007

I've been working on making a set of extensions to make a table
editing helper, which I'm tentatively calling TableEdit.  The help
page for the prototype is at:

http://colimod.org/colipedia/index.php/Special:TableEdit

...with screen captures!

The basic idea is that you can put <newTableEdit/> in your markup,
and an extension will replace it on save with a link to a special
page that can create the table by adding and deleting columns and
rows.  These are stored in an external mysql db with two tables.  One
keeps track of the tables in each page and the other keeps track of
the content of each row.  The row data is just a string of values
delimited by '||' so it can be dropped right into the table markup.
In the prototype, you can put a list of column headings between
<newTableEdit>list</newTableEdit>, or you can specify a location for
a list of column headings in a Template page.

Individual rows can be editable by all or only by the creator and
admins.  This doesn't stop editing in the page itself unless you
combine it with ProtectSection or some other protection mechanism.

What I don't have working yet is:
- Sorting
- Inserting between existing rows and columns
- Parsing the data back out of the wiki text.

and as usual, the code could probably be cleaned up a lot.  I'll try
to post it to mediawiki as experimental this weekend, but I wanted
people to see the doc page.

Jim

p.s. The wiki it's on doesn't allow anonymous registration or
editing, so you won't be able to test drive it in place.
Jim Hu
Associate Professor
Dept. of Biochemistry and Biophysics
2128 TAMU