[Mediawiki-l] Passing username/password into the login system for media wiki via single sign on from uPortal

Goodyear, Duran DGoodyear at uarts.edu
Thu Jun 28 14:43:55 UTC 2007

Good morning everyone.
My university uses uPortal (specifically the Academus branding of it
from Unicon) for our portal needs...
It has a rather robust Single Sign On system, that allows us to pass
username and password from it, to 3rd party applications that use the
normal <FORM> based authentication methods.

The way it works is that you configure an xml file that tells the SSO
engine what URL it should POST your username and password to via HTTP.

What I tried to do was POST the username and password to
.../wiki/index.php?title=Special:Userlogin&amp;action=submitlogin&amp;ty
pe=login&amp;returnto=Main_Page
(I have to put the &amp; in or the XML doesn't parse the normal & sign.)

But when the page loads, it says
"Login error: Incorrect password entered. Please try again."
In a big red box above the login fields.

But...  The login fields are already filled in with my username and
********** for my password.  I click sign in, with out touching the
fields, and it signs me in as though I have just typed the values in.  I
know it's the right data, because when I view the source on the rendered
page, my password exists in the ...
<input type='password' class='loginPassword' name="wpPassword"
id="wpPassword1" tabindex="2" value="XXXXXXXXXXX" size='20' />

Is there another URL that I can try and pass the username and password
to via a HTTP POST action that will login me in besides what I'm trying
already (see below for the full URL I'm attempting to post to), or if
I'm doing something else wrong.

Please let me know if there are any questions.
Thank you in advance!

The XML code for the SSO configuration looks like this for us ...
** code block **

<target handle="init">

<url>http://sandbox.uarts.edu/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Userlogin&amp
;action=submitlogin&amp;type=login&amp;returnto=Main_Page</url>
	<method>GET</method>
</target>

<target handle="log">

<url>http://sandbox.uarts.edu/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Userlogin&amp
;action=submitlogin&amp;type=login&amp;returnto=Main_Page</url>
	<method>POST</method>
	<parameter
	<parameter
</target>