[Mediawiki-l] I could upgrade, but...

Azurite azurite at seventh-star.net
Fri Jun 22 21:07:27 UTC 2007

Hi all,
I found out my shared server finally has PHP5, which means I can upgrade
to the latest version of MediaWiki-- sounds like a good thing to me,
since I've been hearing that there are lots of extensions (like the ones
I've had trouble with recently, like the ParserFunctions) that work
better in the later versions, rather than the version I'm currently
running, 1.6.10.
However, my server specified something interesting with how PHP5 is to
be selected:

In order to utilize Php5 simply save all of your files using the
extension .php5

If you wish to use solely php5 and not php4, instead of having to save
your files using the extension, simply add the following line to your
.htaccess

---
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php
---

And this way all of your files will default to php5.

So if I want to upgrade my existing version of MediaWiki to the latest
stable version, how can I do that? Will doing the *.htacess change mess
up my existing MW 1.6.10 install? Or can I somehow use the .php5
extension when upgrading?
Thanks,
-Azurite