[Mediawiki-l] Setting user preferences at global level

Paul Coghlan pcoghlan at usa.net
Thu Jun 14 12:20:30 UTC 2007

Jack

This is something I am doing through SQL with our three wikis.

Although I am sure it isn't quite the 'wiki-way' we have chosen to prevent
access to Special:Preferences and to control preferences through other
means. This is primarily to try to ensure a consistent UE and to prevent
preference related issues.

For example, if you allow users to turn off the toolbar (toolbar=0) then
this causes the Google Maps extension to become invisible to them!

For most of the settings we change them by altering the relevant setting
within the user_options BLOB inside the user table.

UPDATE user SET user_options=REPLACE(user_options,"old_value","new_value");

If you want to do this for a specific user just add 'WHERE user_id=xx' to
the end.

For a few flags we provide the user with anther page where they can make
some selections within our Drupal platform. These are also effected though a
standard SQL statement.

When a new user is created we have a set of 75 settings which are written
automatically into the user's user_options field giving them our standard
starting point.

Hope some of this helps.

Paul