[Mediawiki-l] How to add sub-pages of "special:nnnpages" to navigation bar?

Steve Sanbeg ssanbeg at ask.com
Wed Jun 13 18:58:09 UTC 2007

> Peter Blaise responds: THANKS!  That's a very definitive distinction
> between the meaning of "admin" and "sysop".  People ask, "How do I make
> someone an admin?" and they mean "How do I empower a logged-in user to
> be able to perform MediaWiki editing and customization functions via the
> on-screen MediaWiki interface?", which is really "sysop" or
> "bureaucrat", not "admin".  "Admin" is not a proper title of a MediaWiki
> user class level, but I see your use of "admin" as someone who can stand
> outside the working MediaWiki system and adjust it from the outside,
> such as playing with the files and server structure and contents
> directly.  That clarification is very helpful to me, and I will add it
> to the MediaWiki encyclopedia I am building in-house to help others in
> my group befriend and master MediaWiki.
>
> -- Peter Blaise

I think the normal usage is that "sysop" is one of the specific access
groups that is configured in a default installation, and "admin" is a
vague term to refer to someone with privileged access, such as sysop or
bureaucrat in the default installation, or whatever privileged groups may
have been locally defined.