[Mediawiki-l] Extension manager

Jack D. Pond jack.pond at psitex.com
Mon Jun 11 14:34:34 UTC 2007

>Are there any talks of implementing an extension manager and a proper
extension repository?
>Something that will allow new versions to be detected, downloaded, UPGRADE
files to be displayed,
> etc all from one location?  Something that could also allow enabling,
disabling, installing, >
> and uninstalling extensions?

Maintaining an extension is, in and of itself, an on-going and time
intensive activity, something which several extension developers may or may
not have sufficient resources to devote.  Given this, an automatic update
might have as many downsides as positives.

As an interim measure however, someone who uses extensions may wish to
consider:

1) Adding a "watch" to the extension article.  Most extension writers
concerned with updates and the common good often post notes, advisories,
etc. informing administrators of current and upcoming changes.

2) Add a new custom localhost.php file (e.g.,
$ip/extensions/mylocalhost.php), where you reference your extensions to
isolate and track your local extension list.  Then use the single:

require_once("$IP/extensions/mylocalhost.php");

Version tracking remains an obsticle, but until an extension manager is
written, these two tips might give you a reasonable workaround.

Jack D. Pond

"Vast and fearsome as the human scene has become, personal contact of the
right people, in the right places, at the right time, may yet have a potent
and valuable part to play in the cause of peace which is in our hearts." --
Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill(1874-1965)
Are there any talks of implementing an extension manager and a proper
extension repository?  Something that will allow new versions to be
detected, downloaded, UPGRADE files to be displayed, etc all from one
location?  Something that could also allow enabling, disabling, installing,
and uninstalling extensions?

I would be willing to work on one if there is a demand.

Kasimir

--
Kasimir Gabert