[Mediawiki-l] Extension manager

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Fri Jun 8 20:09:25 UTC 2007

> Off list, a fellow MediaWikil-ian
> wrote to Peter Blaise: Y'know,
> If you dropped the attitude and
> quit baiting people, you'd be
> more welcome here ... Don't
> pretend to represent all "end
> users." Just say "Thank you,
> that is something that helps
> ME out." ... There are a lot
> of people here with their own
> vision.  Try to impose yours
> upon them, and at best, you'll
> get ignored.  You're about two
> or three "holier than thou"
> messages from getting into
> my own kill file ...

Peter Blaise responds: Sorry.  You're absolutely right.  I speak as if
sitting around a MediaWikil-table, face to face with each of you,
presumptive of our ongoing relationship, giving as good as I get
(snip/snap!), and that's a no-go on the Internet where we can't
recognize our connections to each other except through our
(mis)interpretations of each other's writing.  If we met at a local
coffee shop, we'd probably read each other's faces as primary indicators
of intention, and forgive a lot of what we can't seem to tolerate on any
chat group.  Does this help:

=8^o

;-)

I read your note above as caring to be all-inclusive here, and have
everyone "just get along", including me.  Thanks!

Yes, I a probably appear opinionated, but you're right, I can only speak
for myself.  I'm much more open-minded and resourceful than you presume.
Don't confuse assertiveness, even aggressiveness as being adamant or
opinionated (which is "stubborn adherence and unreasonable dismissal of
other's views").  I'm trying to be persuasive, and you probably
experience me as belligerent.  Ooops.  Time to pull back and rethink!
Lemme look up diplomacy: "skill and tact in dealing with other people".
Hmm ... since I self-sooth regardless of how I'm treated, and forge on,
I forget others may stop and take umbrage.  Good point.

"Hey, folks, wouldn't it be nice if ..." comes across as critical, and
you suggest simply asking, "I'd prefer ...".  Subtle.  I think you're
accusing me of being insensitive to others, asking me to be sensitive to
others, and asking me to be insensitive to the barbs of others.  Quite a
dance!

Anyway, to the entire group, now, past, and future, I say:

Please do not take anything I write personally since I do not know
anyone here personally, yet.  Please self-sooth, as I do.  Vent if you
want to, as I do.  I do not want you to go away if we disagree, nor will
I kill-filter anyone here.  Know that I WANT you all here, and more.
Invite your friends.  If you're not interested in a post, or don't like
a post, scroll on.  If you respond, great!  And, please consider
accepting responses and responders you don't necessarily (have to) like,
as I do.  If you don't want to respond or contribute, I can't stop you.
Life is like that.

Ooops.

=8^o

MY life is like that.

;-)

I apologize 1,000% to anyone who takes offense or umbrage to my writing.
That is not my intention, and I take back anything I wrote, or will
write, anything that is inarticulate and inaccurately represents my
intentions, or is received opposite to my intentions.  I'm happy to edit
and try again, and again, and again, until I get it right.

-- Peter Blaise

PS - In the mean time, enjoy your weekends, and drink in the glorious
vision of a hard earned climb like the one at
http://www.bytesmiths.com/Item/85AE08 where a rock and a tree are locked
together in one common experience, much like each of us here - separated
yet one.