[Mediawiki-l] Questions on lucene-search-2.0

Trey Valenta trey at arena.net
Fri Jun 8 18:48:28 UTC 2007

I was finally able to install the Lucene search engine using the code
from http://svn.wikimedia.org/svnroot/mediawiki/trunk/lucene-search-2.0,
but I have some questions regarding updating indexes. Options for the
importer are listed as:

  -n              - create a new index (erase the old one if exists)
  -s              - make index snapshot when finished
  -l limit_num    - add at most limit_num articles
  -o optimize     - true/false overrides optimization param from global
settings
  -m mergeFactor  - overrides param from global settings
  -b maxBufDocs   - overrides param from global settings
  --snapshot <db> - make snapshot only for dbname

Can anyone suggest an ideal way for updating the indexes? I've setup an
hourly cronjob to dump current wiki content, import the dump, and make
an index snapshot when finished (-s). Is this preferred over just
creating a new index each hour?

Thanks in advance,
Trey Valenta