[Mediawiki-l] Extension manager

Frederik Dohr fdg001 at gmx.net
Fri Jun 8 15:18:20 UTC 2007

I like the idea of an automatic update function!

> The software would be quite straightforward, the issue here is
> maintaining a repository; there is a lot of sloppy extension code out
> there, some of it outright insecure, and we don't really want the
> hassle of keeping track of it all and checking it's all sane.

The whole thing could be handled like Mozilla handles extensions; no
central code repository, and the user (administrator) would have to
confirm each update.

The problem with this, of course, is that every extension would have to
provide sort of a CurrentVersion feed.
However, most still-maintained extensions would probably quickly provide
that once this auto-updater has been established.

-- F.