[Mediawiki-l] jobs.mediawiki.org & fundraising

Ashar Voultoiz hashar at altern.org
Wed Jun 6 19:48:50 UTC 2007

Brianna Laugher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems to me on the whole of mediawiki.org there is not a single
> piece of info about how you can donate to support the software
> development... true?
>
> MediaWiki is pretty lucky to have the WMF to lean on for development
> funds, but IMO it could generate some donations on its own merits. So
> many corps using MW for intranets, surely they could be encouraged to
> give something back.

Hello,

It is not about luck! MediaWiki is a wiki software written for
Wikipedia, it happens to work for other website too. The main "customer"
is still Wikipedia.

Maybe we can add a page somewhere that points to the WMF donation page
though.

> And I guess there would also be interest in a jobs.mediawiki.org
> listing. (cf. Twiki's
> http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Codev/ConsultantsForHire &
> http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Codev/CodersForHire ) why let companies
> pay to list such jobs elswhere (
> http://www.opensourcexperts.com/Jobs/index_html/MediaWiki/index.html )
> when they could be listed right here...

I think we received "job offers" on the mediawiki-l list, some
developers also received private offers to write extensions.

Is there any interest from company to have such a page ? Maybe
mediawiki-l is enough.

cheers,

--
Ashar Voultoiz - WP++++