[Mediawiki-l] Any leads on a basic wiki setup-and-configure instruction manual?

Alexis Moinet alexis.moinet at fpms.ac.be
Wed Jun 6 11:22:38 UTC 2007

Monahon, Peter B. a écrit :
> ------------------------------
>
>> Dave wrote: Yep .. discussion is for the
>> full page ..
>
> Peter Blaise responds:  Okay, that's one for the wish list, then.
>
> I watch the end user as they move their mouse around the MediaWiki
> screen trying to cause it to make sense to them.  When they edit a
> section, there's a [discussion] tab in view, so it makes sense to them
> (and to me) that they can then click on [discussion] and discuss the
> section they are editing.  Nope!  They get a discussion/talk page for
> the entire article, not for the section they were just looking at!

> to not get people caught in such traps, where the programmer's logic
> conflicts with the intuitive, presumptive logic of a new user.
>
> So, I'll break up our original documents into a series of sectionless
> sub-documents, then build a table of contents to introduce each group of
> pages that result, and then put a [previous][next] set of links across
> the bottom (and top?) of each of the many pages that makes up the total
> original document.  An additional challenge is what to call all the
> smaller pieces of the original full-size single document so the user can
> find them and go to them using the

Why don't you create sections in the talkpage with the same structure as in the article ? (the best case would be automatic creation of these talk sections but this would need some code hacking)

Then another hack would be to make the talk tab to point to the edited section in the talkpage like this : http://yourwiki/index.php?title=Talk:Article_title#section_title instead of simply pointing to http://yourwiki/index.php?title=Talk:Article_title

just a thought, don't know how to implement it exactly but it doesn't sound like the most difficule hack ever. Maybe some extension might do it properly without core code modification ? (I'm pretty sure that "automatic section creation" has already been
discussed in this mailing list)