[Mediawiki-l] Exploration: Multiple wikis, shared files, without $wgUseSharedUploads

DanTMan dan_the_man at telus.net
Mon Jul 30 23:51:27 UTC 2007

You may run into issues with the databases though. When you upload an
image you also add a database entry to the image database table. If you
are sharing images with some odd method you should also share the
database. That would involve hacking inclues/Database.php with a method
I am very familiar with to tell it to use a different database when
dealing with that table.

But it's not possible to make image information pages shared between the
two wiki. So it would probably be best to use the commons method. That
method uses an image fallback, and also uses image pages from that
commons wiki when it's using the fallback images. It's also tested and
used on the WikiMedia projects so it's reliably safe to use in
comparison to a random method of sharing.

~Daniel Friesen(Dantman) of The Gaiapedia, Wikia Graphical Entertainment Project, and Wiki-Tools.com